Cauliflower Tostadas topped with sweet potato, black beans and avocado make a healthy and gorgeous vegetarian meal any day of the week!
For a pretty good while now, I’ve been having a thing with cauliflower, as you might be able to tell by my last post for Loaded Baked Potato Cauliflower Soup, as well as some other cauliflower recipes that are on deck to post soon…bear with me. This happens sometimes where I’ll get totally uh-bsessed with a particular ingredient and figure out a million things to do with it.
But today we are talking about these incredible cauliflower tostadas that I am majorly in love with, because they are the perfect fix for when you are craving Mexican food but are supposed to be steering clear of cheese/chips/sour cream because you have to fit into a wedding dress in a little over three months…or you know, summer, bikini season or whatever reason that is motivating you to to stay svelte.
So, how does a cauliflower magically become a tostada shell, you ask? Well I’m not going to lie, this is not going to taste exactly like a crispy, fried tortilla. Sorry to burst your bubble. We have to make some sacrifices when it comes to healthier alternatives. But it is easy, damn tasty, and the perfect vehicle to layer on all the fixin’s.
It’s literally just cauliflower pulsed into small bits (a la cauliflower rice) mixed with egg and some simple seasonings (salt, pepper, cumin). Then they are formed into flat rounds and baked, and finally browned in a skillet with a tiny bit of coconut oil to achieve a nice golden, toasty texture.
Now for the fun part, the part that makes you forget how healthy this meal actually is: TOPPINGZ. My cauliflower tostadas are piled with mashed sweet potato, black beans, avocado (always), cilantro and Cholula…but feel free to get creative and top your tostadas with anything your heart desires. This recipe makes about six small tostadas- two are plenty to fill me up, or even just one with a bright salad alongside it. I’d love to see how you build your cauliflower tostadas, so if you make them, tag your pictures on Instagram with #LePetitEats so I can see your creations!
- 5 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 large sweet potato, roasted and mashed
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup black beans
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it has completely broken down into couscous-sized granules (do this in batches if necessary). Transfer to a bowl and microwave for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through. Allow to cool, then wrap in a towel or cheesecloth and squeeze to drain out as much liquid as possible.
- Return cauliflower mixture to bowl and add eggs, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Divide into ¼ cup portions and place on baking sheet. Flatten into rounds with a spatula and bake for minutes. Carefully flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add coconut oil. Cook cauliflower tostadas until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Assemble by spreading a layer of mashed sweet potato over each tostada, followed by avocado and black beans. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with cilantro leaves, hot sauce and a squeeze of lime.
Filed Under: vegetarian