Start your day off on a cozy note with this Chamomile Quinoa Porridge, topped with coconut flakes and irresistible brûléed bananas.
This chamomile quinoa porridge has been a long time coming on the blog. Back in October when I was in Austin, I skipped out on the morning session of the conference I was attending and wandered out on foot in search of a better breakfast than the standard hotel conference fare. You know….oatmeal, granola, crappy fruit salad with unripe melon and like one piece of pineapple. Um, no thanks, I’m good.
Ironically the first decent place I stumbled upon (decency confirmed via Yelp reviews), called Forthright, happened to be attached to a hotel. But said hotel was the Four Seasons, so I figured my breakfast was in good hands. I like a good name, too, so I gave it a shot.
Like oatmeal, but with quinoa. Genius. Why has no one ever told me about this before? Forthright made theirs with coconut milk and a hint of cardamom which I immediately detected and instantly fell in love with. I was so taken with this nourishing bowl that I knew had to make my own version once I got home.
I didn’t want to totally rip them off though, so I came up with this chamomile quinoa porridge. By steeping the liquid that the quinoa cooks in (cashew milk, in my case, but any milk- dairy or non-dairy- will do) with chamomile tea, there is a lovely calming, floral note that the quinoa picks up.
One thing that I did have to steal from Forthright for my chamomile quinoa porridge though were the bananas brûlée they finished the dish off with. I meannnnn…how could I not? Besides the fact that I like to bust out my culinary torch as often as possible, the bananas brûlée just give this quinoa porridge a serious hit of personality. Coconut flakes finish off my porridge, but I think nuts, raisins or other fresh fruit would be so good too.
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice (I used cashew milk)
- 2 bags chamomile tea
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Coconut flakes (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add quinoa, non-dairy milk, tea bags, agave and salt. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. When mixture begins to boil, remove tea bags, squeezing to release liquid back into the mixture, and discard. Cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until all of liquid has absorbed.
- Transfer to bowls and top with an additional splash of milk, if desired. Arrange sliced bananas over porridge and sprinkle with brown sugar. Using a culinary torch, broil bananas gently just until sugar caramelizes. Top porridge with coconut flakes, if desired.