Coconut Cacao Paleo Granola is naturally sweetened, grain free and full of good-for-you ingredients. Try it as a crunchy topping over dairy free yogurt for a healthy, nourishing breakfast.
It’s kind of a romantic, feminine vibe going on, complete with crimson blood oranges, sultry blackberries and edible dried rose petals (which I just bought and now want to sprinkle over everything because they’re THAT gorgeous) It was semi-planned that way when I originally intended to get this recipe up before Valentine’s Day but also because I just happened to have all these ingredients. But then 3 or 4 chef jobs popped up unexpectedly so yeah that didn’t happen.
But that’s ok, I have learned not to be a slave to my editorial calendar which means I am constantly moving things around. The thing is, I can have a rough idea of when I’d like to send a post out to the internet world, but it’s awfully hard to stick to it one hundred percent of the time when you have a whole other business to run IRL. I’m fine with it being a couple of days late, and I’m pretty sure you don’t mind either (patting myself on the back right now for not giving in to my perfectionist tendencies).
So, back to the story of this addictive paleo granola. I recently prepared all the meals for a group of women on a style retreat over the course of four days. I was informed that all the women were basically following a paleo diet, so all the meals needed to adhere to that.
So I came up with this grain free, refined sugar free paleo granola to as part of the spread on the first day to serve with dairy free yogurt and berries. So Delicious coconut yogurt is my favorite non-dairy yogurt of the moment, but I also just tried some of Kite Hill‘s almond based yogurt and really liked that too…in case you’re wondering. If you have a favorite kind of non-dairy yogurt I’d love to know what it is!
Anyway I made a huge batch of this paleo granola even though it was only for one meal, and the ladies loved it so much that I ended up setting it out every day for snacking for the remainder of the retreat. I would catch them sneaking handfuls of it as they would walk past the kitchen, and several of them asked for the recipe, so I knew then that it was blog-worthy.
This paleo granola is seriously loaded with various nuts and seeds that are tossed a spiced coconut oil mixture. Chopped dates add a hint of natural sweetness (the date pieces turn into these caramel-esque bits in the oven- it’s awesome), and after the granola mixture has cooled I finished the mixture off with big flakes of toasted coconut and cacao nibs (it’s heavenly).
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 20 dates, chopped finely
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (plain or toasted)
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine pecans, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds and dates.
- Add coconut oil to a small bowl and add cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla extract and salt. Stir until incorporated.
- Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread the granola on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Add shredded coconut and stir, then bake an for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove granola from oven and allow to cool completely, then stir in coconut flakes and cacao nibs. Store in an airtight container.
Products I recommend for this recipe: