These Dark Chocolate Alfajores feature light as air butter cookies filled with homemade dulce de leche, covered with dark chocolate and finished with a sprinkling of sea salt. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeHolidayGoodness #CollectiveBias
I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of Alfajores, but they’ve been a holiday staple for my Peruvian family ever since I can remember. They’re basically these amazingly light and crumbly butter sandwich cookies that have dulce de leche in the middle. There is always a plate of them out at our Christmas Eve dinner so they definitely have that holiday association for me.
Usually alfajores are covered in a dusting of powdered sugar, but I’ve also seen them covered in chocolate, so this year I wanted to make dark chocolate alfajores with sea salt for a new twist on our tradition. I used NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk and NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Condensed Milk to make a killer dulce de leche from scratch.
The last component of these dark chocolate alfajores is the finishing touch: I dipped half of each cookie into melted dark chocolate that I made using NESTLÉ® Tollhouse Morsels. Most other alfajores I have seen with chocolate are completely covered in it, but I wanted the sandwich cookie to still be somewhat visible because of that gorgeous layer of dulce de leche, so that’s why I opted to do just half, and I love how they turned out!
I love keeping old holiday traditions alive by just doing a little something different, like I did with these dark chocolate alfajores, and NESTLÉ® products make it so easy to do that with all of their baking goods that contain no artificial colors or flavors, such as:
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Morsels
- NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Brownies & More
You can pick up all these items and more for all your holiday baking needs at your local Walmart, which is where I purchased mine.
- For the dulce de leche:
- 1 14 ounce can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 12 ounce can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- For the cookies:
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 large egg yolks, cold
- 12 ounces NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Flaky sea salt
- Place sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk in a large saucepan. Simmer on low, stirring often, for about one hour or until light brown.
- Pass mixture through a fine mesh strainer and whisk well until smooth. Store in a glass jar with lid.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, tapioca starch, powdered sugar, salt, baking powder, and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to form a fine and sandy meal, then add egg yolks and continue processing until the dough balls up around the blade. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into two balls.
- Roll dough until roughly ¼ inch thick. Cut dough into 2-inch rounds and slide a thin offset spatula under dough to loosen any places that might have stuck. Arrange cutouts on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about ½ inch between cookies. Gather the scraps, briefly knead, and re-roll and cut as before. Repeat with remaining dough, for about 48 cookies.
- Bake until just beginning to brown around the edges, about 15 minutes, and cool to room temperature directly on baking sheet.
- Flip half the cookies bottom side up and gently spread a dollop of dulce de leche into the very center. Top with remaining cookies, twisting and pressing gently to secure.
- Place chocolate morsels in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment, until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet to set. Sprinkle immediately with sea salt and allow chocolate to harden and set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.